Updates to BSA Youth Protection Policy
Notice to registered leaders: The BSA will now be performing periodic rechecks of criminal backgrounds to support the continued safety of youth in our programs. Beginning with the recharter for 202, all registered leaders will be asked to complete the first of these rechecks.
We are asking you to complete this process at your earliest availability to help us continue to provide the safest environment possible for our Scouts and leaders. Please note that these steps must be completed before your 2020 annual registration can be processed.
You will soon receive the e-mail below at the address provided in your official BSA membership records:
IMMEDIATE ACTION REQUIRED
The Boy Scouts of America (BSA) is committed first and foremost to keeping youth safe. Part of that commitment includes continually updating our youth protection policies to help ensure we are always on the forefront of youth safety.
As you know, one of the BSA’s many barriers to abuse is a mandatory criminal background check during the adult volunteer application process. The BSA will now also perform periodic rechecks of criminal backgrounds to support the continued safety of youth in our programs.
Please complete the process listed below at your earliest availability to help us continue to provide the safest environment possible for our Scouts and leaders. Please note that these steps must be completed before your 2020 annual registration can be processed.
- Review the separate disclosure document linked below that is being provided to you separately for your review. It is titled “Background Check Disclosure.”
- Once you have reviewed that, print the separate document titled “Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization.” Review the additional disclosures on that form, then complete and sign the Authorization using an ink/wet signature. Note: A print signature is required for this document. Electronic signatures will not be accepted.
- Turn in the signed “Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization” form promptly to your unit leader or local council service center.
If you choose to decline the background check, or if you do not complete the Additional Disclosures & Background Check Authorization form and return it to your unit leader or local council service center, your 2020 annual registration will not be processed.
We are truly grateful for your continued commitment to keeping youth safe and for helping them learn, grow, and thrive through Scouting programs.
Please do not reply to this email as it is not monitored for inbound replies. If you have any questions about the subject matter contained in this email, please contact your local BSA council service center.
However, you do not have to wait for this e-mail to arrive. You may follow the links below now for the referenced documents and begin the process to complete the recheck now.
For more information on Youth protection, please also follow these resource links:
- Suwannee River Area Council Youth Protection Page
- Boy Scouts of America Youth Protection Page
- Guide to Safe Scouting
- Parents Guides to Protecting Your Children From Child Abuse
- Steps to help you take the BSA’s Youth Protection Training or to ensure that your training is up to date
Our Council’s number one goal is to ensure that we can provide the youth of our communities with a quality Scouting experience. If there is anything we can do to assist with that, please do not hesitate to reach out.
If you have any questions, please call us 850-576-4146.