August 4, 2022 - October 24, 2022
Every Scout should learn the value of hard work and earning their own way. The popcorn sale is the perfect opportunity to teach this valuable life lesson and fund the most exciting year of Scouting ever. The council does all the pre-work to set up the sale, eliminating the need for units to research opportunities, calculate returns, create sales and promotional materials, manage a relationship with a vendor, etc. The popcorn sale is not just about selling popcorn…It’s also about promoting Scouting!
Thousands of dollars go back to the Scouting program in the Suwanee River Area Council as a result of the annual popcorn sale. 70% of all dollars collected during the sale support local Scouting. The popcorn sale is a way for a Scout to support his or her way through the various activities during the year. There are three options to sell popcorn: traditional take order sales, sell online to friends and family out of town and show-n-sell. For more information, contact your unit popcorn kernel.
This year’s sale runs from August 4, 2022 – October 24, 2022. All keys dates are listed in the 2022 Popcorn Kernel Guide.
2022 Sale at a Glance!
- Make sure your unit registers online at www.trails-end.com.
- Popcorn communications will only be sent directly to the Unit Kernels/Co-Kernels of participating units that have registered at www.trails-end.com.
- 2022 SRAC Kickoff Presentation
- Ways to Sell- page 9
- 2022 Trail’s End Technology- page 10
- Rewards- page 21
- Product Lineup- page 28
- Important Dates- page 36
- Commission Structure- page 37
- Council Contact Info- page 39
- Show and Sell
- Initial Order Due August 19
- 2022 Order Form – being mailed to each household, available at Scout Office or through your DE, or available for download here: https://www.suwanneeriver.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/31/2022/08/2022-Popcorn-Order-Form.pdf
- Online Direct – the trail’s end app allows you to do it all: https://www.trails-end.com/app.
Manage your sale and place orders!
SAVE TIME MANAGING YOUR SALE!
- Manage your unit’s sale ALL in one place!
- Order Popcorn; easy prize submission; set your unit/Scout goal
- Invite your Scouts to register; manage Scout roster
- View real-time sales, inventory, and cash management
SHOW & SELL/DELIVER ORDERS (for full cases) DUE ONLINE on August 19, 2022 and September 30, 2022
Order Show & Sell and Show & Deliver popcorn online at www.Trails-End.com . Show & Sell and Show & Deliver popcorn is ordered by the CASE ONLY.
TAKE ORDERS DUE ONLINE on October 24, 2022
Order Take Order Popcorn online at www.Trails-End.com . You will then enter the amount needed by container. The system will automatically generate into cases and containers. Take Order popcorn can be ordered by cases and containers.
Why Sell Popcorn?
- Increase your unit and council income – 70% stays local
- Pay for your entire Scouting program.
- Your unit and/or Scouts may not have sold as many Camp Cards as you had planned due to COVID-19.
- Your units’ other fundraisers may have been or possibly will be effected by COVID-19.
- Some have been effected more than others due to COVID-19, so even though your unit may not be participating, you still can.
- With so many ways to sell product this year, including selling through an app or online where the product gets shipped directly to the customer, there’s really no reason not to participate.
Ways to sell Popcorn!
It’s easier than ever to sell popcorn this year! You can even sell from the comfort and safety of your own home, without ever having to touch a single bag of popcorn!
We want to ensure that you sell safely and learn important life skills like goal setting, public speaking, teamwork and much more. The six best ways to sell below will give you everything you need to sell like a pro.
Take Order – This is the most traditional way to sell; going door-to-door with your Family Guide and the Trail’s End App. Customers choose the products he or she wishes to buy and you enter the order into the app. You will collect the money; either credit card via the app or cash/check, at the time of the order. Advantages: Provide a personal connection with your customers. Higher dollars per customer than storefront sales. Always sell with another Scout or with an adult!
- Walking your neighborhood with your parents and another Scout
- Call on your relatives and family friends
Show and Sell – Your Den, Pack, or Troop signs up to sell in front of one of the local stores that we have an agreement with (signup here) . Set up a well-organized display with products for people to purchase as they walk by. Have plenty of products on display for people to buy. Advantages: Gives access to many potential customers and promotes the Boy Scouts of America in the community.
- Ensure Leaders and Scouts are in uniform with a neat and clean appearance
- Ability to provide a fun atmosphere for the group
- Ideal opportunity to teach selling techniques
Show and Deliver – This method is a combination of Take Order/Show and Sell, in that you carry Trail’s End products with you to show to your customers as you visit them door-to-door. The customer can select the products he or she wishes to buy from your product selection. You then hand over the product and collect the money right then and there. Advantages: No return trip required for product delivery.
- Selling door-to-door with product in hand.
- Scouts deliver the product and collect the money all on the same visit.
- Customers spend more at home ($16) vs. storefront ($7.45)
- Save time! Most productive use of a family’s valuable time
- Spend more time selling and less time delivering
Selling Online Direct – Contactless sales can be accomplished in two ways! Through an app on your phone or online. You can send emails to your customers asking them to purchase Trail’s End products online and even share your Trails End Scouting page directly to Facebook. Your customers click on the link in your email or Facebook post and can begin shopping right away. They order products online and pay with a credit card and Trail’s End ships the products directly to your customers. Advantages: No product delivery or money collection. Ability to sell popcorn year-round and reach your friends and family who live far away. Text APP to 62771 to get a link to download, or find more info here: https://www.trails-end.com/online-direct.Benefits include not handling of any inventory or product yourself
- 35% commission automatically
- Scouts earn 1.5 Points for Trails End Rewards
Selling at Work – Much like the traditional door-to-door take order sale. In this case, where allowed, you or your scouts take the family guide and app to your workplace. You will collect the money; either credit card via the app or cash/check, at the time of the order. Advantages: Expands your customer base and offices often need snacks and gifts.
American Heroes (Military & First Responders) Blitz (page 8 of leaders guide) – The American Heroes Blitz allows customers to support the military, first responders, veterans’ organizations and Scouting at the same time. Customers can choose to donate $50 or $30 worth of popcorn to men and women in the military, first responders, their families and veterans’ organizations. There are no shipping and handling charges associated with hero donations. Over 2,000 tons of popcorn treats have been shipped to hundreds of locations around the world! Hero donations count toward Scout rewards.
Since customers who purchase a hero donation don’t receive the product in exchange for payment, the purchase should be 100% tax-deductible. As always, recommend that the customer check the tax laws with their tax professional, as tax laws often change.
It is a simple interaction with community members willing to recognize our military personnel with popcorn and financially support our Scouts. Military Sales does not require delivery of any product by the Scout. All product is delivered via Trails-End connections to military sources.